Re: [LUG] Scam callers

On 09/05/2022 19:41, Julian Hall wrote:
On 18/04/2022 10:04, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:31:14 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

I notice the calls are generally during business hours - these people
are trying to scam those most likely to fall for it - pensioners.
 I always answer the phone 'Hello?' and won't even admit it's me until they identify themselves. Then if it's a scam I hang up.
I don't say anything if I don't recognize the name and number.

I just answer the call, they called me, its up to them to start the conversation.
Usually they hang up.
Hopefully it trains the system to ignore this number in future.
If the number is withheld or starts with 08 it gets dropped.

I run asterisk to do the filtering.

I did run through a spate of double glazing window companies ringing us.
One had a free phone number, so I used to dial that and join the two together so that they could talk to themselves!

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\