Re: [LUG] USB drives

Thank you for all your responses. Sorry if the initial post was a bit short on info but I have been destroying computery bits for 40 years now and I do know what root and sudo is and  how to use fdisk, but that is not to dis your excellent advice. I was after some really low level formatting for these things but to move on.

The Sandisk 64gb sd card was originally formatted to exfat. I was wanting to use it to replace a 32gb sd in an old Hudl tablet to use as a music player but the Hudl didn't recognise it. Ah ha I thought, the old tablet doesn't recognise exfat so I tried to reformat the card to fat32. After that I couldn't get it to behave at all sensibly. I added some small programmes to improve exfat handling, as advised on Google, and upped my kernel to 5.13. After a few hours I chucked it to one side and got on with other things. After reading your posts this a.m. I stuck the 64gb sd back into my desktop and lo and behold, it was recognised and reported to be formatted to fat32. I have copied some music files to it and played them back and it works! I can only assume that something I did screwed my desktop, running Mint 20.3, although I did restart the beast, but maybe it needed a full power down and reboot.

The other USB drive is a 2TB portable SSD that I paid £26 for on Ebay! The seller is no longer on Ebay. I tried to do a backup to this drive which seemed to go OK but then hung up as it came to the end. I now can't remember what I used to do this and it was only a partial backup of specific directories. I then couldn't get my desktop to read this drive so put it to one side. On plugging it in this morning I got  the following:

Unable to mount 2.1TB drive. Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/george/cf421def-a40e-45ca-a156-dc249f4fe3623: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/-sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

I used Gparted which said there was an corrupt EXT4 partition 2TB. I deleted the partition and installed a new ext4 partition, changed the root ownership to me and the damned thing works. It wasn't quite as simple as that but that is the gist of it

Thank you for all the advice, it did help in that it jogs the memory which fails when you only do things once in a blue moon. I still don't really trust USB drives and whether these drives will play nicely or put up a fight again remains to be seen, but it is all good clean fun.

Thanks again

George