Re: [LUG] '4 areas where LINUX still FAILS compared to other operating systems'

On 09/02/2022 14:10, Julian Hall wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIClssVcVoo

Bear in mind it's /his/ opinion not mine. IMHO lots of the 'not available in X outlet' issues are licencing / legal.
Concur. I watched his blog last night.

Folk who want cash for what they do, musicians etc are
entitled to their fee for the performance.

Software suppliers who sell are entitled to their fee.

Only if it is FLOSS (Free as in cost, and free as in licence restrictions, are distro developers able to put it into any stuff they compose. Then the distro developer must chose what he wants to offer, and make it compatible with the hardware his target audience may use.
(No good broadcasting on 5G if target folk only have 2G available.
Np good using high end graphics if target folk are using 2010 era laptops.)
He confuses HIS opinion of 'wants' with others as having the same opinion.

Each of us has our own set of needs and hardware, says I working on a 2010 designed laptop sold in 2011 to a firm hen bought by me second hand in 2014! It does what I want. I have just had a 2 hour tutoring session with some 7 elderly folk on old hardware over both Zoom (30 minutes) and remainder over Jitsi meet.

It works.
Yes, we can all have wishes, but is HE prepared to do development himself or pay a developer to do it for the community!
That is the core of the matter

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald