Re: [LUG] Website and Volunteers was Re: IRC: Freenode -> Libera

On 18/06/2021 20:25, Paul Sutton via list wrote:

>> I've found the content helpful, and the contact entries are needed for a LUG to
>> exist these days - those buttons to all those social media locations are essential
>> once the choice has been made to have a presence on each platform. Perhaps the
>> group should shun social media but I can't for the life of me see why. They're
>> ideal places for first contact.
>>
>> I'm pleased there's a visible and accessible local LUG where people within meeting
>> distance and a mutual interest can make arrangements. I doubt it could be done on
>> Tindr though trying might be a novel experience for Linux users.
>
> We do have twitter, there is a LinkedIn group and also an account on Mastodon.
> Ideally any blog posts would also be sent out on social media or at least Twitter
> and Mastodon.
>
> Copyright notice issue also noted.  Again something that needs to be addressed.
>
> With regard to people contributing articles should we come up with a simple
> template that can be used by anyone on the list,  then sent to a web team for the
> article to be added to the schedule.  Could be a set of html tags e.g
>
> <b>TITLE HERE IN BOLD</b>
>
> etc.
<snip>

Markdown or possibly ReStructedText probably should be preferred forms if plain text
isn't desired. Just because these are broadly standardised now.

I believe at one stage Grant may have offered to post to the Facebook page; I'm not
sure who else has admin/etc. access .. but its a platform I use regularly for keeping
in contact with more distant friends. It would of course, boost our rankings on
Google/etc search engines if we did this (because $google).

</my 2cents>