Re: [LUG] Scammer's Attitude

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 05:13:00PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> The first way is to opt out of the phone book. This is sometimes called "ex
> directory". If your chosen telco does not offer this, then move to one that
> does.
>
> If you think it's a good thing to be in the phone book in 2021, then stop
> reading at this point as you're beyond help.
>
> However if you've not opted out then it's probably too late as scammers
> trade/sell lists between themselves, but it may stop new scammers in the
> future.
>
> Next, opt out of the public voting register. You still need to register to
> vote but there are 2 lists that our government will give/sell to anyone who
> asks for it and one has the full details and the other just your names.
> Opting out will remove your address at least.
>
> On-going, use the TPS. https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ This is a FREE service
> and you can use it for all your numbers, landline and mobile.
>
> This won't be effective immediately but may take some time.
>
> However as before if the scammers already have your number then they will
> sell it to others and some just don't bother, or pretend to be "marketing",
> etc.
>
> Also ask your telco for caller ID, however caller ID can and is spoofed now.
> There is nothing more than a "gentlemans handshake" style agreement about
> passing calling ID from one telco to another. Once upon a time there was a
> level of trust and you simply didn't trust some telcos who placed calls into
> your network - that level of trust has long gone. It's almost impossible to
> police anyway.
>
> So while caller ID may be helpful, it may not.
>
> I'd also suggest unplugging your landline and moving to mobile. It costs
> scammers fractionally more to call a mobile number, so they tend to not
> bother. Telcos have deals for residential callers to give them so-many
> "free" call minutes to mobiles now, so if your friends/family complain tell
> them to move to a telco which does this. If you can unplug your landline,
> then look for an ISP that supports SOGEA - your current one might - this is
> copper without the voice part, so broadband only. Obviously if you're on
> FTTP you can simply drop your copper phone line.
>
> Finally, which really ought to be firstly is EDUCATION. Educate your family
> to recognise scam calls immediately and deal with them. The best way is to
> simply hang up. Do not try to negotiate with them. I take the silent
> approach in that I answer the call but do not speak until they do. More
> often than not their automatic systems will hang up before they connect a
> human to the line. Sometimes if I'm bored I'll say "Hello?" then wait, but
> lifes too short.
>
> And scam emails? Why on earth are you not running an email spam checker or
> using an email provider that does this for you? You do not have to use your
> ISPs email provider - there are many others but note that the better ones
> may not be free.

 +1

 And if you come across an offer that sounds too wonderful, it may be
 worth seeing a professional to unpick it. But why oh why would you
 get a genuine wonderful offer by the telephone, or email or letter.

https://campaigns.which.co.uk/scam-alert-service/

https://www.fca.org.uk/scamsmart

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately