Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

On 31/05/2021 08:21, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 04:33:12PM +0100, comrade meowski wrote:
>
>> How big is the property you need to cover and what is your existing and
>> unsatisfactory current arrangement?
>
> Wifi / router in the office Access point in the other half of the house. House is
> divided into two by a stairwell, either side of the stair well are thermally
> insulated walls. ie concrete blocks with metal coated polystyrene. Signal strength
> across the stair well is c%%p
>
> Currently have one access point (connected by cable) and the main
> router / wifi (draytek 2820).
>
> Will look at the Unifi nanoHD. Thinking of adding to the stairwell
>
>> Specifically I would recommend a Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD model for the main AP
>> and add a cheaper Pro or Long Range unit if/when needed or wanted.
>>

> Thanks

The metallic coated polystyrene acts as a Faraday cage (hence isolation
of the two sides )  and as a 'reflector' for some signals. Thus odd
signal strengths from different WiFi signals. This is a random unknown
and unpredictable reflection.

I would suggest you take a Ethernet cable from router over and through
the stairwell and establish another access point on the far side.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald