Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

On May 26, 2021 6:58:14 PM UTC, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:03, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>> My view is that since Freenode is now unreliable and unstable that
>people
>> should move elsewhere anyway. The reasons and motives of the current
>> owners and admins are still unclear to me and probably will remain
>so.
>>

>I agree. Freenode today is not what it was a couple of weeks ago. Most
>of
>the projects I follow have moved off, either to Libera or Matrix or
>elsewhere.
>
>I hold a dim view of today's action where they arbitrarily decided that
>the
>word "libera" was banned in Freenode's topics. That shows poor
>management
>and, frankly, spiteful and unprofessional administration.
>
>Frankly, I don't trust Freenode any longer and will likely be removing
>it
>from my clients after at least 11 years.
>
>I think my preference is to move to the libera irc network, where the
>#dcglug channel already exists, and perhaps bridge that to Matrix to
>allow
>for slightly more modern clients. (Bridges are a mixed bag, but in a
>low
>traffic channel it might work)

Hi,

I found the actions of Freenode today very distasteful, and am glad the channel was
(eventually) restored.

There is no official libera-matrix bridge yet, however the libera version of the
room *is* bridged to matrix via my matrix server at the moment and I've made a few
configuration changes based on feedback over the last week. More than happy to keep
the bridge up indefinitely (it's also bridging another channel).

I am very concerned about the future of the freenode network - especially regarding
what changes in policy we might need to navigate going forward.

Joseph