Re: [LUG] Disk Wiping

On 04/03/2021 18:50, David Bell wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 17:32:58 +0000
comrade meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is this where we find out by any chance that although you're not
encrypting your computer drives at rest you think that it's important
to secure wipe if not physically destroy your retired drives?
In days of yore I went in search of useable old PCs to make up as IPCOP
boxes. One local shop gave me a couple. One of them had belonged to a
married lady who, by simply looking at her E-mail programme and c:
drive, was carrying out a long torrid affair with a named married man.
In addition she had spent a small fortune on her card downloading porn.
As a bonus find photo selection, she was a very attractive woman!!! The
HDD was wiped, reformatted and the box made a very useful firewall.

David

And David here wins the award for demonstrating the concept of 'threat model' beautifully....

Seriously, how many of us are handling commericially sensitive (protected via NDA) or personal healthcare/financial information - the likes of which would become a serious legal issue if it fell into the wrong hands ?

The worse I can imagine the 'average' LUG user holding is perhaps some crypto-currency wallet information about how many thousands of dollars of "illegitimate, untaxed" income they hold .. (and yes, if this happened to fall into the hands of the HMRC, /could/ theoretically end up with nasty repercussions)....