Re: [LUG] A pretend rant

On 27/12/2020 13:00, Neil wrote:
> This has been a strange year. Nearly over now, thank goodness. So, as a
> bit of fun, I have come up with a list of some of the defaults in Linux
> which annoy me. (Agreed, I am easily annoyed.)
>
> Desktop
>
> I like to have the panel at the bottom. Some distros start with it at
> the top, or even on one side. So I have to move it.
>
> The plank. Whose weird idea was that one? If it is there I remove it.
>
> Konky. Another weird one. It takes up a lot of space on the screen, it
> is distracting, and if I need any of that information there are lots of
> other apps that I can use. (uname, htop, neofetch, inxi to name just a
> few.)
>
> All those pretty (or not) pictures to show on the desk top. To me just a
> silly distraction. I always set up each desk top with a plain coloured
> background. Each one a different colour.
>
> I always keep the panel hidden. When I need it I just move the mouse
> pointer to the bottom of the screen and the panel appears. The rest of
> the time it is out of  the way.
>
> Browsers
>
> Firefox is usually the default. There was a time when I could place the
> tab bar as the lowest bar. Then  that facility was removed. So I now use
> Waterfox Classic or Palemoon. Firefox is still installed but I just
> ignore it.
>
> For some reason most browsers seem to be set up at the start so that
> closing the last, only, tab also closes the application. Why? I always
> switch that off via about:config. There are already several ways to
> close my browser down when I have finished, I don't need  another one.
>
> Terminal screen.
>
> Yes, I do use it a lot. But the default seems to be to open it up with a
> small screen. I like to have it full screen, so I change that in
> preferences. I usually change the font and background too.
>
> Laptop
>
> Very similar to the above, except that I never use a touchpad, I use a
> wifi mouse instead. So I switch off the touchpad as one of the first
> changes I make.
>
> The above is by no means a full list, but enough for now.
>
> I had better finish by saying that we are so lucky with Linux. Most
> changes that I want to make are so easy. Try that in Windows or Mac.
> That is one of my main reasons for using Linux. So please take this as
> just a bit of fun, not a rant.
>
> Neil

To Neil & others at DCGLug.
Neil’s pretend rant

I appreciated this message from Neil.
20201227

To reply to Neil’s “a pretend rant”
Such an essay can only be written by those who are very comfortable
working in  and on a Linux system, while others who are ‘just users’
have neither the depth of knowledge or use cases  to do these things.
 I ‘just use Linux’ mainly by graphical methods as I rarely venture into
the CLI.

So: rant on rant:

I concur a very strange year indeed, but it has sent us looking for
solutions! Even in computing. Many 'oldies' started to use their devices
in earnest!

I looked up ‘konky’ but am just as unenlightened, except I deduce the
various search engines look for ‘sound’ of word, as I got a lot of
German names in sites similar in pronunciation. Then found Conky in
Linux and understood. “Conky is a system monitor that will display
pertinent information on your desktop.”

Panel.
I find keeping the panel hidden sometimes does not work, as in a freeze
it is unrecoverable, so I may temporary hide (‘intelligently’) the
panel. When I need screen area.
No panel visible always ‘disturbs me’ as I have lost my control method.
However I do not use a Command Line Interface except in extremis, as I
have never mastered this method; and as ‘just a user’ I stay rigidly in
the graphical methods. OpenSUSE YaST helps a lot for my use case.

When depth of screen area is necessary I move panel to sides or on one
machine to a floating bar (panel 2) in middle upper of screen.
I use Firefox as default, even when teaching Windows users in Windows. I
got used to tab bar at top. However I have a ‘rigid habit’ from older
times with little RAM to only at most keep 2 tabs open. But that is a
preference. I find more tabs distracts my thinking. I am a one task at a
time person.

I have had numerous requests to write about Firefox and its add-ons from
my (elderly) pupils to reduce there adds, pop-ups etc. the Firefox
Facebook Container and Multi-Containers are much appreciated by the
oldies I teach. I demonstrate in Linux on my machine, they copy into
their Windows systems. While introducing them to Gibson Research
Corporation’s “shield’s up” to check if their machine ‘leaks’ or has
open ports.

Terminal. Easy to adjust size.
I have to teach this to those using Xubuntu (old laptops) as easier to
update /upgrade for them in a one line terminal  (copy typing) rather
than use graphical solution.

Size adjustment and magnification of working screen is an essential
skill to old folks with bad eyesight.

Laptop finger pad. Some oldies are extremely ‘rigid’ in finger movement
so mice or mouse control is almost impossible,  however they can work
touch pads. Even with a single knuckle! However here I almost always use
a USB tethered by wire mouse, but never connected by WiFi. Wife or me
operating a Microwave plays badly with WiFi.
I have not built a Faraday cage round my laptop (Ethernet wire
connected) yet.

I have found Linux useful and easy by sticking to distribution’s
versions. So no ‘mucking about’.
Those oldies who are put on Linux stay with it.
Yours aye, a satisfied Linux user from about 1998 or thereabouts  on
Live Knoppix 3 originally. (A 3.5 inch floppy disc distribution from a
paper shop magazine in mid-Wales.)

Kindest regards
Eion

--