Re: [LUG] college laptops

On 11/12/2020 14:00, Simon Avery wrote:
> Secondly, since Superfish, I plain don't trust Lenovo.
Reputation, Reputation
Always in Background.

As I only buy second hand or third hand and put to desktop / laptop use,
I have had no failure due manufacture, but major motherboard failure due
MY use of machine. It was covered by my insurance policy (used it for work).
However I restrict myself to reconditioned Dell industrial units,
Latitude or above, main use one is circa 2012 then second hand.

Experience:
If you use and depend on laptop and carry it about, always put laptop
inside a completely enveloping plastic waterproof bag, before putting in
a (canvas ?) laptop bag. In heavy rain, laptop touching canvas allows
rain through canvas. (Think head touching canvas tent in thunderstorm)
Water enters via USB and other ports - start up then loud noise -non
usable laptop.
The inner water proof layer is vital.

--
Regards