Re: [LUG] JavaScript at 25 years old

On Sat, 5 Dec, 2020 at 21:09, Sebastian <seabass@xxxxxx> wrote:
It is a little late for a party, perhaps, but I have celebrated in
another way! That is, installing a plugin for Firefox/IceCat called 'GNU
LibreJS'. It is a program that detects proprietary JavaScript code
contained in websites and blocks that code from running, whilst in the
same way detecting JS which is free software and letting that run.

LibreJS is a good idea in theory, but it's an incredibly difficult thing to work with. For example, if you have a project using a build tool such as Webpack, the licence files will be scattered or the licence declaration stripped at compile time and LibreJS will not recognise them. This means that even free software projects will be flagged as non-free by LibreJS.

It would be nice if there were more development around it to create plugins for these build tools, but it looks like the appetite is not there as it's not a trivial thing to do. This means a lot of projects simply don't bother and rely on the central project licence. For example: go to Peertube with LibreJS turned on. Even though Peertube is FLOSS, LibreJS won't think so (at least not the last time I checked!).

Ciarán