Re: [LUG] OT: Personal Network Query

On 09/10/2020 15:16, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I would very much appreciate advice on the following please.

In short, networking a care home with three floors. It seems they have run out of IP addresses on their router so cannot add any more wireless devices. Quite how they've managed that I don't know but the fact is they have, and are now thinking of upgrading. The possibility of separate routers on each floor was mentioned. My initial thought was:

Ground floor: Main router with Internet gateway and two separate networks - one for staff and equipment - LAN printers and networked drives etc. The other a Guest network for visitors with only Internet access. IP range 192.168.0.x

First floor. Router with IP range 192.168.1.x

Second floor. Router with IP range 192.168.2.x

All routers to have the staff, and Guest networks. Would that work, or should they have one router and three hubs?

Kind regards,

Julian

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. To clarify a couple of points;

 * I am not an employee nor do I have any physical access to the
   premises, I am 'just' one of the Next of Kin of a resident, who
   happens to know something of the issue.
 * I have no idea of budget or if the group that runs the home will
   fund it or if it's local funding.
 * The comment was made to me in passing about employees leaving, which
   makes me think employees are issued with fixed IP addresses - for
   what possible reason I don't know - which are then not erased if the
   employee leaves.
 * It's a good point about the size of the IP pool and length of DHCP
   leases. For example my visits tend to be 3 hours absolute maximum,
   so a short lease of 4 hours would be more than enough. Also my
   router at home has up to *.100 IP addresses set aside for fixed
   equipment like PCs, printers etc, and *.101 to *.254 addresses are
   dynamically assigned to everything else. In short 100 IPs (probably
   overkill but it works) for cabled kit and 154 (again overkill) for
   WiFi. Lease time is 24 hours (at least I assume that 86400 is
   seconds, so that's 24 hours).

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley