Re: [LUG] OT: Personal Network Query

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020, 15:27 Julian Hall, <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I would very much appreciate advice on the following please.

In short, networking a care home with three floors. It seems they have
run out of IP addresses on their router so cannot add any more wireless
devices. Quite how they've managed that I don't know but the fact is
they have, and are now thinking of upgrading. The possibility of
separate routers on each floor was mentioned. My initial thought was:

Ground floor: Main router with Internet gateway and two separate
networks - one for staff and equipment - LAN printers and networked
drives etc. The other a Guest network for visitors with only Internet
access. IP range 192.168.0.x

First floor. Router with IP range 192.168.1.x

Second floor. Router with IP range 192.168.2.x

All routers to have the staff, and Guest networks. Would that work, or
should they have one router and three hubs?

Kind regards,

Julian

Other than running out of IP addresses, have they any other issues that would necessitate this structure? If their existing setup works fine for them (for now), then why not simply use one of the other private address ranges with more available IPs?

Set it up as 172.16.x.x / 16 for 65k addresses
Or 10.x.x.x / 8 for 16.7m addresses

I'm sure they'd be hard pressed to run out of addresses with either of those.

Grant.