Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On 27/09/2020 15:41, Ciarán Ainsworth wrote:
> On Sun Sep 27, 2020 at 3:31 PM BST, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> Hello Ciarán,
>> Chicken and egg; hardware gets better, more and more shit is loaded
>> into web pages, requiring better hardware to render/run all the
>> java(script) and christ knows what else, hence faster machines,so web
>> designers get paid to put in even more spyware, tracking crap and god
>> knows what else.
>
> Yeah, it's getting pretty obnoxious, really. There are some things which couldn't
> possibly work without something like Webassembly/Javascript, but I would go so far
> as to say that the vast majority has no business using any of this stuff. Any
> textual information can be presented much more efficiently and effectively with
> pure HTML/CSS, and even more complex stuff such as logins can be handled without
> these if you just put a bit of effort into it (see sites like Sourcehut as an
> example of how to build a fully-featured application with no JS).
>
>> I still can't understand ppl that are totally euphoric about Apple
>> hardware. It's expensive and, especially when it comes to their phones,
>> seems to hit the news in a bad way all too often:
>>
>> Looses signal; you're holding it wrong.
>> It bends; don't put it in your pocket.
>
> I was once a part of the cult of Apple (I was duped into dropping £899 on a
> MacBook Pro back in 2009). It really is just marketing and preying on the hopes of
> users who want to ditch Windows. There is a vain hope that Company B is going to
> treat you better than Company A, but in reality each thinks just as little of you
> as the other. Apple's hardware quality has walked off a cliff in recent years as
> shipping volume has increased, so they can't even really pull that justification
> out any more.
>
> When it comes to hardware manufacturers, Apple is clearly ahead in the consumer
> field because they have the resources to focus on marketing to consumers. It's
> much rarer that you see dedicated commercials for hardware vendors such as Lenovo,
> HP, and Dell. They usually get lumped in on the back of Currys, Amazon, and John
> Lewis ads. For this reason there's no prestige associated. Apple? Now they must be
> quality. Didn't you see? They had a full advert for just one device!
>
>> Indeed. It's simply arrogant to assume that just because I can afford
>> to be online 24/7, buy the latest £400(1) 'phone, etc. that everyone
>> can.
>> Even in this country. Although (if I recall the facts correctly), in
>> India, where over 60% of ppl don't have access to a flush toilet, approx
>> 80% of the population owns a mobile 'phone.
>
> Even so, affordability is not the only consideration here. The fact of the matter
> is that there isn't a country on earth that has 100% WiFi coverage (certainly not
> with free connectivity), which means that an always-online device is inherently
> less useful than one that has online and offline capabilities built in. At least
> [...]
My Chromebook is fantastic. I love it.
It's fast, works well in offline mode (which is rarely used) for the
files I need. It's great hardware at a reasonable price.
It's a Gentoo derivative (originally Ubuntu), so apart from i9t have the
Google badge, the Linux arrogance spouted here seems a little misdirected.
Yeah, Google want data and lots of it, but most of us have Android (or
iOS (Expensive tat) phones so arguably that ship has already sailed...
I tried Chrome OS on an old laptop so i knew what I was buying into, but
with the hardware married to the OS, it runs like greased lightning.
I got one for my 83-year-old dad, and he loves it - he has no reason to
store data locally, and although it's small, he can read everything
better than on his phone screen.
Battery life is amazing also.

--
Kind regards,

Mark Smith
juglugs.com

PGP fingerprint: FE57 FF27 C090 186C BFDE EF8B 9502 6421 F69F 0742