Re: [LUG] Public Key Servers

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 17:00:30 BST maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Any comment from you knowledgeable folk about key servers?

Last time I looked, and it was a long long time ago, nearly all the major key
servers were running versions of key signing software with known security
flaws.

Now in theory this doesn't matter, since the security of the chain is
dependent on the keys themselves, meanwhile in practice if you can keep stale
material current, reject new key material, or flood bad, or fake material, you
get to play games that key servers should seek to suppress.

Back then most key servers didn't fully grasp subkeys, and some didn't even
handle them. I'd be surprises if the situation was quiet as bad as regards
software maintenance as I'm sure more of these packages are in distros by now.

I'm be surprised if the situation was fantastic, unless the main key server
operators have deliberately undertaken work to make it so.

Note also since this I had discussion on FB with the chap who invented the
whole web of trust, he apparently regards it as a mistake. Trust doesn't work
like that. So whilst keyservers may be a convenient way of distributing
certain keys, how you establish trust in those keys is another question
entirely, hopefully by a slightly more formal process than the web of trust.