[LUG] Old Laptop

At home I have a new desktop computer and two old laptops. My wife has one of the laptops for her exclusive use. Mainly emails and browsing is about all she does. However, she does leave the computer switched on all day.

She tells me that sometimes recently she has had some problems when using the browser. The screen loses the picture, or it seems to stick. So far she has managed to get it going again.

On checking my records I see that I bought that laptop back in June 2013, so it is getting a bit old. It does have a spinning HD, not an SSD. (Back then they were not so common.)

So I am wondering, should I just get the HD replaced with an SSD, or would it be more sensible to get a new laptop altogether? I suppose that nearly seven years is getting on a bit in computer terms.

Any suggestions please?,

Neil