Re: [LUG] printer/scanner recommendations

On 19/11/2019 09:44, Rod Sheaff wrote:
If you're willing to tolerate paid-for and closed source (but with free trial), you might have a look at VueScan which I used for my elderly slide-scanner until one day a Sane driver appeared.

Yeah - if you scanner is not generally supported, then it might be worth a look at that software, although the HP Scanjet 200 is not supported by that either, https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_200.html#technical-information at least not for Linux.

For printers, usually most Laser types will be supported under Linux, they usually have a Laserjet emulation mode.

Safe to say, for open source, take more care when choosing a scanner. I doubt I will ever replace my scanner, and it is just one of a couple of things that bind me to running a Windows VM. I just don't have the need to scan that often.

--
Giles Coochey