Re: [LUG] Mint 19.x Login Weirdness

On 11/11/2019 20:58, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This morning as usual I turned on the PC to log in to Mint, however it
> won't accept my password. I have tried several times, and even used the
> onscreen keyboard, all to no avail. I thought it might have stuffed up
> and changed to a US layout, but it has not. The really odd thing is that
> it does not say 'Invalid password' - I tried deliberately to get it
> wrong and that time it /did/ say 'Invalid password'. All that happens is
> that I enter the correct password, the screen goes black as if to log
> in, then the log in prompt returns as if nothing has happened.
>
> This email is written on the same machine from Mint 17.3 which is still
> on the GRUB menu, and logs in properly without fault.
>
> Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

The problem isn't with your password - the desktop session is failing to
launch for $REASON and is dropping you back out to the login screen
because it doesn't have a choice. Your task now is to find and eliminate
$REASON which could be almost anything but is likely to be limited to a
subset of the usual suspects.

Get access to a shell on the machine via ssh or a console login
(CTRL+ALT+Fx at the login screen) to see what's going on:

systemctl --failed

Should probably reveal the culprit.

Report back if you don't understand what it tells you.