Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 07/11/2019 16:20, Neil wrote:
> The computer did boot off the USB stick, which contained the files to
> install MX Linux 19. I could look around, and I was able to find and
> copy my daughters files from her home folder on to an external HD.

If the laptop was able to boot from a USB drive and load up some random
linux live environment without the screen flickering issues then you're
basically in the clear - just another case of kernel mode setting
graphics drivers not being installed/configured correctly by the distro
provider in this particular instance. It didn't sound like anything was
genuinely wrong with it from your description to be honest but as
everything was under control and you'd quite happily managed to rescue
the data yourself I didn't want to butt in.

Your local shop guy will give it a once over, briefly test a Win10
install on it and give it back wondering why you thought anything was
wrong with it is my guess.

You got good advice here as well, first step for me is pretty much
always boot a troublesome machine with a well known linux live system
via USB or PXE. As long as you account for hardware quirks you might not
be expecting on unfamiliar hardware (KMS drivers are a big one for
Linux) you can pretty much rule out 99% of user reported hardware issues
immediately.

Also, there's no point in hassling users endlessly about doing their
backups - trust me, they'll never do it themselves. Sadly it's on us
IT-literates to do it for them so resign yourself to that and organise
automatic backups for them. At least when it goes wrong next time you'll
thank yourself (as will they hopefully)!

Cheers