Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 06/11/2019 13:13, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

Forgive me if this comes across as rude, but obliterating the whole system when it seems only 1 thing is broken... seems like a very Windows way of operating.

Well actually, this is what we tend to do in corporate land - we ensure that users just don't store any data locally, and if they experience any kind of problem then we just F12 at boot, PXE boot, and deploy a new image to the box. The way it is that there is just no point in spending more than 30 minutes on a system looking for what the problem is, just re-image as it takes less time. Manually installing a new Ubuntu by hand still takes less time, and you can be sure that if the problem was a security issue - malware, virus or whatever, then you'll obliterate that as well.

Since you say it happens as soon as you *try* to login... does the login screen flash, or after you've entered your username and password? Or only start to flash when you start typing?

If the login screen is flashing then it looks to me that this might be an issue with a video driver, or display environment, I would consider just moving the xorg.conf file to another location and try rebooting, X will usually figure out a new configuration.

Going to console, creating a new user and try logging in with that user might help with the display environment case.

--
Giles Coochey