Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 06/11/2019 12:22, Paul Sutton wrote:

If you boot a live cd then you should be able to gain access to /home
If you plug in an external storage device you should be able to copy
items to the external backup,  reinstall the OS then copy them back.

If you show hidden you can also back up key configuration and other
data e.g if you're using thunderbird then .thunderbird.

This is a good argument to use a separate /home partition as when you
re-install you can opt not to format /home. I think to maintain file
permissions you need to use the same username.  Unless you want to
manually change the file ownerships with chown etc.

However I am sure others will agree this is no substitute for backup
of important files.  External hard disks are not expensive but worth
the investment.  Failing that you can back up to cloud storage too.

I am sure others may have a better solution or be able to expand /
advise further.

Hope this helps,

Paul