[LUG] Realtek network adapter RTL8821c

I've just bought a Lenovo V145-15AST, cheap and cheerful which has a Realtek network card. Works fine in Windows on wireless and ethernet. I fired up a copy of Mint 19.2 and it didn't find any wireless network.

No problem, I thought and plugged in an ethernet connection at which mint went into a sulk and refused to work at all. If I plug in the ethernet and boot into mint it loads OK until it normally opens the desktop at which it sits there with the mint logo up but nothing else and refuses to do anything or respond to anything. If I boot into mint, get to the desktop and plug in the ethernet the desktop locks up solid, no response. So I can't look at any log files either.

Any suggestions before I go finding Wifi drivers and trying to load them from a usb stick?

Frustrated regards, George