Re: [LUG] Diasporia

On 09/07/2019 20:50, Jon Davey via list wrote:
> Hi everyone, just a quick gathering of the consensus concerning alt-social media
> site 'Diasporia'. Is there one (a consensus) ? What do you make of it ?
> Cheers, Jon

Hi

In terms of this,  you may find https://fediverse.party/ useful to give
some information on the various services, that are federated,  You are
free to set up your own instance of for example friendica, mastodon,
diaspora etc,  this gives you full control,    You can add people who
are on other services as this is the power of federation.

Different services replace common proprietary solutions, gnusocial is
more like twitter ( Matt Lee can explain far more about this )

Each of these also have common features,k such as posting status
updates, support for adding photos or videos,  calendars, etc.  Sites
such as peertube offer a replacement for youtube,

However I think the point of all these alternatives is mostly privacy,
user control and user ownership of content, as in you upload a video you
keep control of it rather than giving the bigger entities the right to
use your content as they wish)

Hope this helps

Paul

--