Re: [LUG] Clusters

On 05/07/2019 07:14, Rich wrote:
Hi All

I hope you are all well and enjoying the sun.

I am trying to understand clusters and why you would run one and wanted to ask some basic questions. I am tempted to build a cluster from some Raspberry Pi's to try to understand what they do in terms of power etc. For instance, if I asked one Raspberry Pi to do some browsing it would be fine. What if I asked a cluster to do some browsing, would it open the websites quicker? Or whilst on one Pi I would find it hard to do video editing, could I do video editing on 4 Pis?

Thanks for any help.
---
See you
Rich
07546 804439
https://gucu.org.uk/

Its unlikely clusters would help much in the situations you mentioned unless the software was written to use clusters and I haven't heard of clustered browsing or video-editing.

That being said I would imagine RaspberryPis are good machines for learning about clustering and distributed processing - I believe there is a hat that will fit onto a normal pi that will allow you to experiment with 4 raspberry pi Zeros so you are talking about a cluster for less than £100 all in!. Having said that you could probably set up a load of PiZeroWs as a cluster without anything other the zeros themselves and a usb hub to power them.

However its probably best you try and understand what you can do with a cluster and looking into hadoop (a distributed file system), spark - (a distributed processing system) for some of the big-data stuff. Or perhaps clustered ray tracing for graphics generation and even AI on clusters. All of these will give you an insight into how some things can be distributed.

I did some courses not long ago about big data   and some on  a thing called weka on futurelearn.com - you can do these for free and they're not a bad way of seeing why problems need clustering/distributing and paths to world domination!

Tom te tom te tom