Re: [LUG] Multiple desktops successfully?

On 09/05/19 10:31, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 10:01:33 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

I've already got the 'restore previous session' set but I think certain
software is not aware of multiple desktops!
Surely, the software shouldn't have to be desktop aware?  At least,
not in the context we're talking about here.  I'm far from expert in
such matters, but if the DE offers "restore previous session"(1) then
I'd have thought that it's the DE that should be doing the work, not (in
this example) the browser.

(1)  I don't use the option in KDE/Plasma myself.  I always prefer to
start on a (excuse the term) 'virgin' desktop.

Yeah I'd change your window manager .. this is where something like XFCE starts to show its limitations, without extensive customisation and/or plugins to do the additional legwork ...

I've actually used KWins "force window to <XYZ>" options to great effect to start apps on the right -monitor- let alone desktop, and you can adjust all sorts of settings .. but that won't be available in something like xfwm ...

Do a bit more homework, but I think you'll find it is indeed your DE that's limiting here ... [and whatever support it has or has not for the window mechanism your app uses - Qt/GTK/etc]