Re: [LUG] Old calculators - (Last Sat. in Plymouth)

On 29/04/2019 11:16, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Found this photo:

https://www.sliderulemuseum.com/Ephemera/Buzz_Aldrin_Apollo11_with_slide_rule.jpg

It's Buzz Aldrin with a slide rule in the Apollo 11 command module in 1969.

Who needs computers, eh? :-)

Gordon

My grandfather gave me his slide rule when I went to Junior Tech school in Plymouth. The school was in the Greenbank area then (I'm 76 now). My grandfather worked for Armstrong Siddeley Just after WWII and was doing some really weird military stuff during the war. The slide rule was really well made and looked a great piece of kit, complete with it's own slide top case. Unfortunately it got lost during our many house moves as it would probably be worth a few bob these days.

My first electronic calculator was an US import made by Bowmar and had only the basic 4 functions. I can't remember when I bought it but it was a long time ago and it cost me a pile.

I still have the small Sinclair Scientific calculator in a drawer somewhere which was still working the last time I put a battery in it..

Today the only calculator I possess is an ancient Casio solar rechargeable fx-85v super-fx. I use it only when I'm away from the computer.

Keith