Re: [LUG] Linux Mint 19.x and HP WiFi Scanners

On 27/03/2019 03:39, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 26/03/2019 23:40, Michael Everitt wrote:
>> On 26/03/19 20:15, Julian Hall wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Am I just wasting my time with this? I need to scan some documents
>>> urgently so as usual turned on the HP Officejet 4655 - which prints
>>> perfectly fine. After half an hour or more of loading GIMP -> New->
>>> Create -> Scan - 'no device found', installing the latest hplip etc and
>>> finding out it won't install a Wifi device unless it's on USB first
>>> (argh!), then installing it, it sees the scanner, unplug the USB and
>>> scanner disappears. Editing hpaio end /etc/sane.d.dlls.conf for
>>> network,
>>> checked groups are correct. GIMP (Sane) still won't see the scanner
>>> on WiFi.
>>>
>>> Then I find there are two unresolved bugs where Mint 19.* won't use HP
>>> scanners on WiFi...
>>>
>>> Should I just revert to 18.x until they fix the bugs? Is there a fix I
>>> have missed?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>

>> Have you installed the HP firmware plugins?
>>
>> SANE should magically pick it up if HPLIP is correctly installed .. but
>> yeah Mint may well be doing something stupid....
>>
>> My HP LaserJet 3-in-1 works fine out the box on Ethernet, even with the
>> Document Feeder....
>> Cheers,
>> Michael.
>> PS. Gentoo geek.
>
> It's specifically /WiFi/ they've apparently broken. HPLIP etc all
> correctly installed - as I said the printer works flawlessly but the
> scanner refuses. Luckily I never got round to flattening the Mint 17.3
> partition so when I tried booting that off the Grub menu I can still
> use the scanner, until they fix what they broke in 19.x.
>
> Julian

I have a HP Envy printer.  This , and previous printers have had the
ability to scan to sd card or scan to memory stick,  which works fine.
I can scan directly with software but sometimes this fails and the scan
to device just works.  As these media are generally FAT then you can
mount in the usual way and get the documents from them.

Hope this helps

Paul

--
Paul Sutton