Re: [LUG] USB stick does not display

On 26/03/2019 17:49, Simon Waters wrote:

Quick Google says the error is commonly due to MBR errors.

Have you been using or formatting the sticks on another OS or device?

No, the computer I am using to try to read the sticks is the same one I originally used to format them.

If it is Linux only it only needs a simple filesystem so I'd guess you either
did something odd, or didn't clean up what was on the sticks when they
arrived.

When I bought them they, of course, were set up for MS windows. When I buy a new stick I always open up gparted, and then format it to ext4. Until recently they have worked fine. Then, suddenly, they will not display. Except just the one, which was treated exactly the same as the others. That one still works as expected. And the external HD has never been any problem.

Either way post the kernel logging on inserting a stick with the problem
(usually /var/log/kern.log) and the output of "fdisk -l" on the problem
device.

kern.log is empty.

Here is the relevant bit from fdisk

Disk /dev/sdb: 3.7 GiB, 3951034368 bytes, 7716864 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x3f97bfd7

Thanks,