Re: [LUG] viruses and protecting against them

On 05/11/2018 09:18, Pentiddy wrote:
> Is it me or are there really no other free linux virus scanners out
> there other than Clam?
> I seem to be hitting problems trying to install anything else.
> My main concern is scanning the backed up files before returning them to
> my (hopefully) clean system.
> Clam somehow does not convince me it can protect me from this Trojan
> which seemed to be embedded in the Macros of office somehow.
> My office files are mainly business related and I can't afford to lose
> them or re-infect myself or even worse others...
> Please, any suggestions or experiences that might help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony

> Pentiddy Logo. <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/>   Pentiddy Woods
> <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/pentiddywoods> / Pentiddy Woods newsletter
> <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/newsletter>
>
> Attached files are likely to be open-document format (*.odt or *.ods).
> Why? So as not to depend on one company for accessing my own data in future.
> See:  https://www.documentliberation.org/
> MS-Word may say 'damaged file' to discourage this but should open the
> attachment(s) anyway.
>
> Pentiddy Natural Burials <http://www.pentiddynaturalburials.co.uk>
> Heartwood Creations <http://www.heartwood-creations.co.uk>
> Pentiddy Community Woodland <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/communitywoodland>

How you can check with other AV systems depends on two things:

1) Do you have two (2) back ups on separate external hard drives?
Reason for two. One you keep and one you check on another system.

2) Do you have any contact with a Windows PC computer?
If so they can check your back up with 2.1) Their installed AV system OR
2.2) use a one time scan from internet  such as
https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/
or
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

3. This is one reason to keep or have access to a Windows  system.
Note the friend with windows should be running windows 10 (Home or Pro)

4. You need to connect the hard drive with back up before you do an
online scan.
In some cases if friend has a AV system set to scan any connected USB
disc on insertion, then your hard disc back up connected by USB may be
scanned.

As such a scan takes a long time (in my case 3 to 8 hours)  then you
need patience.

There was an old Live Linux AV scan system from Kaspersky (2010) but is
now well out of date and I do not  know if it downloads current signatures.

ALSO see web page
https://www.tecmint.com/best-antivirus-programs-for-linux/

It list some other systems other than clam AV.

I trust this helps
Eion MacDonald

--
regards