[LUG] udev rules for persistent serial device naming

Hi everyone,

ran into an issue. I've got an ancient (off line/not networked) Debian
Lenny system that is running some industrial process control and there
is much resistance and effort required to upgrade it.

Recently needed to change some external hardware, so i've ended up
with 2 FDTI USB serial converters attached and the the usual fun and
games have started where its a lottery which one gets /dev/ttyUSB0 and
ttyUSB1

So i thought udev to the rescue.. as my udev foo is lacking i googled
and nearly every reference i can find uses this format for udev entry
:-

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001",
ATTRS{serial}=="A6008isP", SYMLINK+="mydevice"

so i change the above to match my VID/PID and serial and great it
works, but something was wrong

the symlink was not :-

 /dev/mydevice -> /dev/ttyUSB1

but was :-

 /dev/mydevice -> /dev/bus/usb/0

what? thats not a char device being exposed? needless to say opening
that device and talking to it does not work.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I'm finding that google is not my
friend as this system is so old i'm expecting that a detail is wrong
and all examples use the latest format for udev rules.

Thanks

Robin