Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi Mail Server

> On 20 Feb 2018, at 20:10, Joseph Bennie <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> really the best email solution is gmail business. set it up, set your mx records
> job done. any retort about email security is moot. email transmits in plain text.
> ie its readable in transit. The only secure email is the one not sent.

Whilst I generally agree most (>88% at Google) email is at least opportunistically
encrypted on the wire.

Email is still hideously insecure in general. But most mail clients complain if
submissions are not encrypted correctly. Most servers are opportunistically
encrypting.

At $DAYJOB we have taken to enforcing TLS when sending to any regular correspondents
whose mail server has 100% correct TLS config e.g. valid trusted certificates with
the right name, and it is yet to cause any(!) issues. I really need to automate
this....

We use Gmail for this, and Iâm skeptical how many senders make the same change their
end (sad face), but if they do then hopefully gmail is high on their list of
destinations to protect.

The argument being that if their email server is 100% correct they clearly have
professional email management and will likely keep it that way. Some of the
organisations still living in the dark ages of self signed email certificates are
âsurprisingâ.

Sure you can still own a domainâs DNS get some free certs and proxy their email
server. But there are few protocols resistant to that level of attack*, and even
fewer people use the relevant features of those protocols to stop such attacks.

Although a surprising amount of the Internetâs traffic is so protected, mostly
thanks to Google doing the right thing on their own properties.

* Plug: if you need a comms system resistant to those sorts of attack, if you have
budget, if you can find us....