Re: [LUG] Email service

On 19/02/18 14:48, Nick wrote:
> What are people doing for their email service?
>
> The service provider for my domain's email did something recently that
> made me unhappy with them so I'm considering alternatives.  I'm not
> looking for a free service, on the basis that "if you're not paying,
> you're the product".
>
> E.g. runbox looked good until I noticed on their status page
> "connectivity issues" going into a 3rd day with no update.
> Mailbox.org doesn't seem to have a status page.  tutanota I can't use
> because of its peculiar encryption.
>
> Anyone got any warnings or recommendations? Does anyone here run their
> own mail server and find it works well?

I've got a lot of clients using G Suite - which usually provides more
than just email - and it's absolutely bullet proof. It's also GDPR-ready
which is a major plus as 25th May 2018 isn't far off.

I'm not unconditionally recommending them because one size doesn't fit
all and there are some strange gotchas when mixing and matching with
third party hosting and services but definitely worth a look. How many
users are you servicing for that domain's email - if it's just you, G
Suite is probably a bit heavy duty. Once you climb towards 50 or so
users the pricing can start to add up as well.

Your own email server is *still* the only way to go... if you have an
almost unlimited threshold for frustration. I gave up running my last
dedicated sendmail box a couple of years ago and don't miss it at all.

Cheers