Re: [LUG] File Sharing

On 16/02/18 14:42, Mark Williams wrote:
> All good advice but I'd go one step further. Create a simple VPN back to
> your home network using another machine. That way all browsing, file
> transfers, etc, can be conducted securely without needing to tunnel over
> SSH. You have full access control, can set up and revoke if necessary a
> user account for each device, and you have the option to use your home
> internet connection on the road too. When connected remotely, your
> device will behave as though it's at home. Something like
> http://www.pivpn.io/ is a straightforward introduction to certificate
> based VPNs and while that's intended for a RPi, it can be run on any
> Linux box.
>
> If you're particularly paranoid, you can also set up port knocking. That
> means you effectively visit a port of your choice which logs your IP
> address, adds it to a firewall rule for a temporary period, then you can
> access the remove services (the VPN in this case) over a different port.
> Unless you've knocked on the chosen port first, attempted connections to
> the VPN are rejected, providing another layer of security and obfuscation
>

> On 16/02/2018 14:26, leloft wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:17:03 +0000
>> Roland Tarver via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> So, erm, in terms of accessing data on your home (linux) network, when
>>> *not* at home...
>>>
>>> ... what would be the best, safest and most secure way of doing so
>>> please?
>>>
>>> or, is this simply a bad idea? to be avoided.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> roly.
>> Hi roly,
>> Firstly, read up on iptables, pam, ssh keys and scp.
>>
>> At a minimum, I would say
>>
>> On router:
>> 1) close all ports on your router to outside
>> traffic except the one you will need for ssh (by default 22, but we're
>> going to change that in a minute) and block pinging
>>
>> As root user, on all home computers that you will want to access:
>> 2) change your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to use [new port number] and set
>> PermitRootLogin=no
>>
>> 3) configure /etc/security/access.conf to allow only authorized
>> users to login remotely and set /etc/pam.d/login to enforce this
>>
>> 4) set /etc/securetty to contain the word 'console' only
>>
>> 5) reboot each computer and try to ssh -vvvp [new port number]
>> user@IPaddress from the travelling computer. If the
>> firewall and pam are working correctly, you should not be able to and
>> your three v's should tell you why. If you can, you will need to do some
>> more reading up about firewalls and check your pam settings.
>>
>> 6) configure your firewall to allow NEW incoming tcp traffic on your
>> [new port number] only, and only ESTABLISHED, RELATED incoming traffic
>> otherwise.
>>
>> 7) When it's all working satisfactorily, change your root password to
>> something impossibly long and complicated, and your user password to
>> something marginally less so. Then install ssh keys.

> [...]

Sounds like a topic we could really look in to at a future tech jam or
perhaps Pi jam in Exeter, given I think a lot of people could be closer
to Exeter.

The Exeter jam is being extended so that the first 2 hours 10 - 12 are
for families then after that there is a chance for any one else (minus
any children) to hack, ask questions or do more indepth topics.

If anyone is interested I would liaise with Ian so it can be arranged,
and promoted to suit.

Either that or we set up a more dedicated meeting for this sort of thing.

On the topic of passwords, you can perhaps use
apt -m 30 which will generate a 30 character password such as

apg -m 30
poclosGicOfVeabZetOrtouHowpat7
DiolRekwigviepWefyetJeHiShmod7
FenFonrarkyalHuQuiwedUfIbpyids