Re: [LUG] Netgear Router

On 10/11/17 08:50, Neil wrote:

> Well, I have certainly opened a can of worms here. I will have a read
> through the above, thanks. And I must decide what to do next. Some SOHO
> routers are very pricey, and yet you tell me they are all a load of
> rubbish. That does not make things easy. At least my desktop does not
> use wifi. This has all made me feel very worried about the whole
> shebang. It seems that, even if I had remembered the password, it is all
> just a mess anyway.
>
> Will follow up with all this later

Definitely just start here - all the instructions you need are on the
one page and it's pretty trivial to setup and test:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/telnet.console

On your older router model + firmware you should be able to access the
"hidden" backdoor admin access "feature" that Netgear so kindly left for
you. With that you can recover/change passwords, dump configs and rather
amusingly, actually fix the hole itself using the exploit :|

Apologies for inducing yet more existential angst about the big scary
internet - maybe someone else will chime with a balancing opinion and
tell you that I'm overstating it, the internet is secure, corporations
and governments have your back and care for you and there's bound to be
an accidental little flaw in software here and there so there's nothing
to worry about.

Anyone?

Cheers