Re: [LUG] OT: Diagnosing - Probable - Dead RAID 1 HDD

On 23/09/17 19:19, mr meowski wrote:
On 23/09/17 18:52, Julian Hall wrote:

I have good, if odd, news. I turned on the NAS today and it recognised
the second HDD, initialised it and is now busy rebuilding the array.
That's without me even touching it since yesterday when it refused. All
I can put it down to is that the connector in the NAS /may/ be going
south. However, for now it seems to be working.
Well, glad to hear it - I'd keep a close eye on that NAS for a while if
I were you though after all that funny business. Not exactly the most
confidence inspiring turn of events from the device that is supposed to
be keeping your data safe...

Good luck!

Cheers

Hi Mr Meowski,

It looks very much as if the NAS is dying, and possibly picking up speed doing it. Last night I was able to detect the allegedly faulty drive in the NAS and rebuild the array successfully. This morning it reported a degraded array again. The drive spent the afternoon in a caddy SMART testing; in short it went through the short, conveyance, and long self tests all without any errors, added to that the fact that it formatted flawlessly in the caddy pushes the conclusion there is nothing wrong with the drive itself.

Obviously the simple albeit more expensive solution is get a new NAS, however a friend suggested a Pi with OpenMediaVault. I'll have to consider which option is best for me.

Thanks as always for all your support and advice

Kind regards,

Julian