Re: [LUG] NFS or Samba

On 07/09/17 17:08, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Main data store and a few services on an always-on microserver.
>
> Processing on the big machine with the Ryzen CPU etc, but this switched
> off to conserve power in between.
>
> NFS seems flaky.
> Samba seems quick and reliable.
>
> is NFS an abandoned antique, or should it work quickly and cleanly?

No reason you can't have both surely? I export my generally available
networked $STUFF internally over http, ftp, CIFS, NFS and SSH so pretty
much anything can get at it one way or the other.

NFS - particularly v4 - should be rock solid in practice. What transport
are you using? If it's wifi, the problem is probably there rather than
in the protocol. NFS and SMB/CIFS can both typically stand a lot of
tuning if you like that sort of thing: neither are necessarily firing on
all cylinders straight out of the box.

Cheers