Re: [LUG] Headphones and sound

> On 22 Aug 2017, at 17:48, Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Why is sound on computers so complicated?

Because we make it so.

We keep evolving the sound interface, and unlike proprietary vendors we don't just
move everyone across, we do a myriad of fudges and backward compatible stuff despite
usually having the source code.

Also we shipped a lot of devices to be USB, and X is bizarrely bad at controlling
many. Not sure if this is X's fault, but I've had headphones from various vendors
which are mishandled.

In most cases telling X to butt out solved the issue entirely.