Re: [LUG] Changing User ID.

On 02/05/17 16:56, Julian Hall wrote:
> The folder Mine is inside the Word folder, so the following is from a
> terminal:
>
> Cerce Word # chmod -R 777 Mine
> Cerce Word # dir
> 2017.pdf  Books  Cypher\ Challenge  friends.wav  hole-hearted.wav
> Letters  Mine  Misc    test.doc
>
> However files inside the folder Mine are still locked claiming another
> user has them open. So I tried copying two files I /can/ open from /home
> onto the NAS to see if I can still access them. They won't open either..
> with the same permissions set. It seems to be a definite NFS problem
> then. The current fstab entry for the NAS is:

Definitely don't worry about the nfs thing for the moment - it's
definitely an issue as well unfortunately, but one thing at a time...

Your terminal output is, erm, not that helpful I'm afraid. I *think*
what's happening here as well as OpenOffice being awful (now fixed by
switching to Libre) AND permissions being mangled by nfs somehow (still
need to fix that) is probably an errant lock file left as a temporary
scrap.

Presuming you're on machine Cerce instead the same directory "Word", try
issuing this is in a terminal:

chown -R $USER:$USER Mine
ls -alh Mine

This will reset the entire directory recursively to your user:group IDs
just to be on the safe side, and ls will give the long list format of
the target directory afterwards so we can see any hidden files and all
permission details. Your "dir" was in the wrong directory and won't show
up those pesky Office lock files which I suspect we'll shortly see.

You are definitely at risk of mangling some of your files here as the
minor issues stack up so really, really be careful about only working on
copies.

Cheers