Re: [LUG] Mini desktop computers

On 21/04/17 08:32, Neil via list wrote:
> On 20/04/17 18:17, mr meowski wrote:
>>
>> Think about the size of a modern top-end smartphone - and then subtract
>> the bits you need to make just a computer. Strip off the keypad,
>> antennae, battery, speakers and so on. You'll be left with an eight core
>> 64 bit CPU and ~8Gb RAM plus a GPU, ~128Gb solid state storage and the
>> dedicated circuitry to drive USB peripherals and wifi, bluetooth, GPS
>> and telephony signals all on a SoC way smaller than a Raspberry Pi.
>> Shrinkwrap it in a tiny little case with a couple of micro slots for the
>> same power and peripheral ports as your PC and you could fit a stack of
>> four of them inside a cigarette packet.
>>
>> Just one of them would run rings around a former high-end PC from 10
>> years ago in all but a few benchmarks. Welcome to the future.
>>
>> You're correct about getting inside of them though - whilst things like
>> Intel NUCs and similar are considerably bigger than that, they do pack
>> full scale x64 architecture into a form factor that is nonetheless tiny.
>> Unfortunately a side effect of this impressive miniaturisation is the
>> death of easy maintenance. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers don't want
>> you to ever fix them, just chuck 'em in the bin and buy another one.
>> Welcome to the past.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> Live and learn. I suppose there are various sizes available. I was
> imagining something about the size of a biscuit tin at least. One
> would seem strange alongside a large monitor, keyboard and a printer.
>
> Most of the ones I looked at had some photos which, deliberately?,
> made them look quite big. It was only when I checked the actual sizes
> that I realised just how tiny some of them are. Yet they still seem to
> have many ports available. What about overheating?
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil

I have seen the likes of the Gigabyte 'nettops' eg.
http://www.ebuyer.com/716608-gigabyte-brix-bxbt-2807-ultra-compact-pc-kit-gb-bxbt-2807-250-4
for a couple of years now, and thought they would be a decent basic, or
even a headless box if you want-/needed such a thing. Not so sure
whether they are so cost-effective, and they are definitely a one-shot
solution .... but then if you're installing *buntu and go .. then does
it really matter?!?!

Modern CPUs and power-management mean that the mobile processors don't
consume a lot of power, nor create the ensuing waste heat unless you're
doing constant video-encoding or such-like, so there should be less
wastage (and the whole box is probably a bit more efficient than one's
Average PC of the 90s .. ).

MJE