Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 03/04/2017 16:06, Neil via list wrote:
> On 03/04/17 15:53, mr meowski wrote:
>> On 03/04/17 15:03, Neil via list wrote:
>>
>>> I have had a chat with the chap who set it all up. He also thinks that
>>> the problem is that, on boot, it is not seeing the keyboard in time. He
>>> has suggested that I try a PS2 keyboard, either by borrowing one or via
>>> an adaptor. This should be seen more quickly than a USB one.
>>>
>>> He also thinks that fast boot is on, and initialisation may be set to
>>> partial. So, once I can get to the BIOS, disable fast boot and make
>>> initialisation full. But it is getting to the BIOS first.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have a PS2 keyboard I can borrow? Otherwise I could get
>>> an adaptor. And there is definitely a PS2 port at the back of the tower.
>>
>> Ok, interesting... Something still feels a little "off" though here and
>> whilst I've no reason to doubt the guy who set it up I'd bet that I've
>> fiddled with just as many BIOS/UEFI/etcs as he has. And I've literally
>> never seen a system that flat out refused to respond to all pre-boot
>> hotkeys to this extent, even when you're trying different keyboards
>> across multiple USB ports too! Normally after double checking the
>> manual, having a quick google and trying some hearty keyboard mashing
>> you eventually get in and make a mental note to yourself to never forget
>> what arcane invocation eventually worked (which needless to say I
>> usually manage to forget by the time I next need it).
>>
> Hopefully you have now seen my other emails about this. Tomorrow I plan
> to go to the local computer shop and borrow a PS2 keyboard, as offered,
> and also pick up an adaptor.
>
> If you have seen my most recent email, it seems that machines with both
> USB ports and a PS2 one will not find the BIOS via a USB keyboard. So
> that will be my next test.
>
> Thanks for all your time and help,
>
> Neil

I have followed this with interest.
History, may be irrelevant.
On one old tower desktop machine where I was asked to set up from XP to
a Linux, about 3 years ago, and as I always set delay on choice to at
least 15 seconds, I could not get my usual USB Keyboards to boot to show
BIOS, but an ancient IBM PS/2 in combination with an old Monitor
 pre set-up, then still no ability to get to BIOS but keying down the
LED key before and as I pressed power got me into BIOS.
I now realise this was a case of USB being not active until past ability
to choose OS menu or BIOS.   Tower had 2 PS/2 connections one for mouse
one for keyboard, as had 286 chip towers/flat IBM desktops

Thanks for post event education. I always learn on this DCLUG
I still keep the old PS/2 keyboard from 386 CPU

--
regards
Eion MacDonald