Re: [LUG] Getting to UEFI

On 02/04/17 15:34, Neil via list wrote:

> Have had a go at using the cheap keyboard and at using different USB
> ports, but to no avail. I will wait till tomorrow when I hope to talk to
> the people who made it up for me. Perhaps they can get me sorted out.

They're going to say exactly the same thing(s) as we've been saying
though, because it's not like there any real alternatives...

Did you also try using the Del key in the end? And the other "method" of
course is to boot the machine and just spam ALL of the Function keys
basically at the same time - I've had to resort to that more than once
in the past.

You never mentioned whether or not you tried with a bootable USB key as
suggested either. Yet another last ditch method is to disconnect your
internal storage drives (all of them) and see if the BIOS automatically
dumps you at the setup or boot screen by default, because it doesn't
have any choice at that point.

You do have my sympathy though, computers really shouldn't be this much
of a pain in the arse just to get to a BIOS screen of all things. I'm
not initially sure why yours is being so awkward, this level of
frustration is normally reserved for laptops with custom modifications
such as the hateful Lenovo "novo" button.

Lastly, I did note that your motherboard has a dual BIOS feature which
is still a relatively uncommon thing: it *might* just be the case that
your OEM has done something funky to "protect" you from yourself, as it
were. Conceivably they might even have gone so far as to flip a jumper
on the board to write-protect it or disabled access entirely short of
opening the case and firing up the PC from cold boot with the special
motherboard mounted power button (mine has these features, not that I've
ever had to use them). In your shoes I would have got quite cross by now
and would have intentionally reset the entire CMOS manually (there's
probably another button on the board specifically for this).

Please do let us know what your system integrator has to say when you
speak to them!

Cheers