Re: [LUG] Ad blockers

Personally, I use something of a mixed strategy:-

Any sites or services who's content I feel I cannot live with, are listed in my /etc/hosts file

Wherever possible for news, I prefer to receive and digest it in summary form via any available RSS feeds using either Thunderbird of RSS Owl

When browsing, I typically use Firefox, and have the Privacy Badger and U-Block Origin add-ons installed, enabled and suitably tweaked which I find mitigates a great deal of the 'noise'. Set FF to delete everything at the end of each browser session.

Other general rules:-
Never use anything from Google, ie Google Chrome Browser, Gmail etc.
Most searches are done using duckduckgo, however, if I feel the need to use Google for search, then it is done via ixquick Don't use any form of social media like facebook, twitter, or linkedin etc etc
Never us any ISP supplied appliance
Always use your own DNS resolver
If you ever find yourself talking to a web-master and he is using things like google analytics, take the trouble to explain to him that he is part of the problem and is only perpetuating it.

I am sure that I could add a few more things to the list, but those simple things above do tend to make it just about tolerable for me.