Re: [LUG] remote sensing

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016, M. J. Everitt wrote:

On 13/06/16 11:36, Tom wrote:
I need to see over further than a pir can reasonably work alas. Its
not just 'waterproofing' - condensation will be a problem round here!
I'm hoping supply of the new zero will level out soon so I can get one
and a camera and see what sort of load it takes.
You can get a solar usb charger 20w for around Â40 and I would imagine
that, and battery pack and controller to switch the power on and off
sensibly would be a start!
Tom te tom te tom

I'd be tempted to go straight for the Pi3 with wifi

The on-board wi-fi is good, but not that good - he needs 100m - that would need an external antennae soldering on, and the Pi3 is quite power hungry already. A Zero is a much better option for a power + battery point of view.

.. then you can
connect direct to it from the house. Range should be adequate. If you
really feel brave, you can run either motion/zoneminder/opencv on it for
motion-detect and/or capture if you like. I'm sure I've seen some demos
of exactly this setup, but google will be as good as source as any for this.

More cpu/gpu == more power == bigger batteries. It's all a trade-off here. (The Pi Camera uses GPU to do the imaging and conversion from raw to whatever stream du jour is)

TomB has done a lot with openCv on a Pi - he might have some input here...

Gordon