Re: [LUG] Junk emails from myself???

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Like most people using a computer I get plenty of rubbish emails, which are automatically sent to the junk folder. Tiresome and boring, but what can anyone do?

I notice that some of them show the sender as me. That is, it seems that I have sent those particular mails to myself. Strange. I am just wondering what possible purpose could be achieved by that. Why would anyone send me an email which appears as though I had sent it to myself?

Several reasons.

The usual is that it's an attempt to bypass your own anti-spam system. However it could be someone using your email to send millions of messages - in which case you'd know about it by now as you'll be getting millions of bounces.

And on the note of bounces, they may deliberately be trying for a bounce to get the email to you (ie. trying to relay via another site which doesn't allow relaying) so (again) your email processor thinks it's really from you and lets it through.

If you (or rather the email provider you use) used SPF then you probably wouldn't see them.

Gordon