Re: [LUG] Safety Check

As always, if you're worried about your online security, it is wise to
think of your threat model. I assume, for example, you're not worried
about the NSA spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to install
microphones all around your house. You're probably not worried about
cybercriminals spending thousands of pounds to steal millions from your
bank account.

> Computer.
> I use Linux only, not MS or Apple.

This reduces the likeliness of falling victim, as Linux (as a Desktop
OS) is a far less common target.

> It is linked to the router by cable, no wifi.

WiFi isn't particularly insecure if used well.

> The UFW firewall is on.

Depending on your network setup, this can help.

> I always run any updates.

This is very important.

> However, no anti-virus.

Right now, given the number of threats against Linux, this shouldn't be
a real issue.

> Email
> I do use the spam filter.

This reduces the likeliness of you clicking on an email.

> I am very careful about what links I click on.

Good. This is very important.

> Browser
> I use noscript, ghostery, AdBlock plus, Privacy Badger

NoScript removes JavaScript which is used in just about every web-based
threat.
AdBlock plus removes ads, which are sometimes used to serve malware.
Ghostery and Privacy Badger matter only if you're worried about websites
(and, by implication, governments) tracking you.

I would also disable Java and make Flash click-to-play. With that, you
wouldn't even need an ad-blocker.

> However at the moment I do not use any VPN.

This only matters if you're worried about your government and/or your
ISP spying on you, or if you use your device on (someone else's)
unsecured WiFi.

> Mostly when browsing I use Duckduckgo or Startpage.

This matters is you're worried about Google tracking you.

> Phone
> I do have a mobile phone, but it is not a smart phone.

I don't think there are any serious threats against "feature phones", as
they're called.

> So am I OTT? Or do I not do enough?

Use strong and, especially different passwords. Keep backups of
important stuff.

Some things may seem a bit OTT. You can use a smartphone just fine and
the same with WiFi or Google. But if you don't need them, I don't see
why you should.

Martijn.

Martijn.