Re: [LUG] website

On 3 Nov 2015, at 13:54, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Simon Avery wrote:
>
>> Joseph, sorry but that's blinkered and wrong thinking.
>>
>> I think you would be astonished at how much of the web is run on wordpress,
>> and how many major companies use it as a backend. It's far from a toy.
>>
>> http://trends.builtwith.com/cms
>
> Agreeing here ...
>
> And here's another slant to it all... Just how busy is the LUG site? 3, 4 hits a
> day, if that? So realistically, what's the point spending a lot of time on it...
>
> And remember when the Exeter one was drupal? I was getting hacked on a daily
> basies, wasn't it?
>
>>> IMO its a toy being used where you should have something more robust in
>>> place like Drupal or umbraco. Almost every wordpress site I'm asked to
>>> advise on is a f&* up.
>
> Sounds like an easy way to earn money - and out of curiosity, how many WP sites
> you advised on were compromised due to wordpress itself - vs. weak password,
> insecure plugins or just ignorance on the part of the user?

100% ignorance by the site manager,  an evolving code base that they no nothing
about, they just trusted it.
You have got to own it and be in control, It not good enough to assume the upgrade
button is a fix all my problems button.

Hence why we should be going down a low tech, tightly controlled route for the main
site.

My original point is the main site should be static html and changes made via git so
only a minimal set of people need direct access to the server directly, in fact the
git pull could be on a daily cron.
If that site needs data it can be pulled via ajax from any source

In essence, make it minimal.