Re: [LUG] Identifying encrypted files.

On 24/10/2015 19:53, Simon Waters wrote:
> I'm busy telling my son statistics is a really interesting topic.
> Statistics lets you spot really small effects in timing or deviations
> from expected behaviour, and it can be really hard to prevent these.

This is very true.
>From a long time ago in my past.
Much from little differences.
 A mathematics with 'some electronics-computing experience' lecturer was
tasked  with recording and allocating costs ( charged to decimals of a
cent) for telephone department access dial up costs during early use of
Arpanet at one USA University.
His costs as billed by teleco were different from  summation of
department costs logged internal by a few cents per month. He argued
this indicated some mal function, university  bursars etc said quit
talking! A few cents in thousands of dollars. Do not bother investigating.
He decided to  intensively study this 'few cents' costs.
Eventually, it proved first experience of a foreign power infiltrating
the USA military network.
Only then were funds allocated to carry out a watch at every one of the
few universities then on Arpanet.
Reason a lot of data had been acquired from USA by others.
Method:
Gain access to university phone system, and then immediately dial out to
a mil net  site. Grab data, release call. Mil-net storage system saw a
legitimate  access from a permitted account so no investigation occurred
or warning alarm set off.
The very few parts of a second from access to university phone and then
dial out, the statistically insignificance to university bursars few
cents in a thousand per month, had proved the attach.

At the time this caused a major change in Arpanet so that Universities
could not get direct access to mil net storage. This was much complained
about as mil-uni co-operation was foundation of many shared tasks.

The uproar was great at Unis about the inconvenience.
The data already lost was a great embarrassment to mil-net.
It was kept quiet for a long time.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald