Re: [LUG] Web based emails

>reasoning for excluding these major providers?

I can tell you mine;

google are too insidious. They're worse than the Borg. At least they
*tell* you you're going to assimilated. google just suck in everything.

It is worrying how much they know about them, and how much *everyone* relies on them. You'll struggle to avoid their reach even if you try, however.Â

I'm a big fan of google. I think they're honestly far more ethical than almost any other commercial company and I like the products they make, and I like their approach to almost everything. But that's a personal view, and I can't argue that they don't know more about me than I would like them to.Â

However, they do make it easy to migrate services away from them in open formats. (Google takeout is a really simple way to migrate or archive email (and/or all of their products) away, for example)
yahoo accounts are too easily breached. They're a security nightmare.

And legit mail from them is frequently mis-identified as spam as a result. Same as hotmail, really. Back when I used to have to write spam rules, I scored both of them higher by default because the amount of non-spam email from both domains was trivial.
For Neil's use case, that's a major cause for concern. Oh, and their
DMARC policy is boorish, forcing many mailing lists to make large scale
changes to accommodate them.

Agree. Some complain of google silently dropping inbound mail too. I have some sympathy for big email providers though, the amount of attacks they get is tiresome.
hotmail. microsoft.

And, as Neil has already said, the bigger they are, the more I get the
feeling that they're "too big for their boots".

I don't like it when people compare Google to Microsoft. They are completely different in pretty much every aspect of their business models, actions, transparency and ethics.Â