Re: [LUG] Web based emails

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 04:18:25PM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Is this a good idea? Can anyone suggest a good email site for this? One
> I came across was yandex, which looked good but turned out to be based
> in Russia, which may or may not matter.

Yandex is a good company, though I've never used their webmail client.
The fact that they're Russian, as you say, "may or may not matter"
depending on your threat model. Whatever reason you have for not using
Gmail, etc. may also apply to Yandex.

It's worth noting that webmail providers probably aren't going to show a
lot of ads to you if you just use it for the odd online purchase. And if
you're worried about intelligence agencies, note that they can easily
check with your credit card provider or with the shop themselves.

But perhaps you have a different reason for wanting to avoid the main
webmail providers.

Running your own mail server is fun but not the easiest thing to do. I
wouldn't recommend it, especially not for this particular use case, but
if you like to spend some time learning how mail servers work, perhaps
this is what you want to go for.

Martijn.