Re: [LUG] Windows 10 being downloaded "Just in case"

On 11/09/15 10:27, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:27:08 +0000, Joseph Bennie <jay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
.. ps while trip to bsd land would be a joyride, Linux critical mass
make it the best bet. but If solaris was actually affordable as an
every day OS ... I've no issue with proprietary, I have an issue with
blackmail and extortion.

MS are doing this because it is what most people want. The average joe
is quite happy to exchange their personal information for free stuff
and if it works for Facebook and Google then why not MS. Ditto
subscriptions. A lot of people pay £30 a month for a phone even though
they could buy it outright and save cash in the longterm.

What makes me sad is that after all these years the open source
alternatives to desktop Windows are still mostly at about XP level. A
lot of the apps still look like crap and often don't integrate very
well if at all with the OS.

Kevin

There is also the matter of those little check boxes we usually see 'Do not share my information with third parties'. My bet is that MS intend to replace the revenue from not selling Windows individually with selling databases of customer information. Given the size of the Windows userbase that could be extremely lucrative.

Julian